Skip to main content
It looks like you're using Internet Explorer 11 or older. This website works best with modern browsers such as the latest versions of Chrome, Firefox, Safari, and Edge. If you continue with this browser, you may see unexpected results.
Borrowing from the Michigan Tech library
How do I borrow materials from the Michigan Tech library and how long can I keep them?
- Your HuskyCard allows you to borrow materials from our Main Collection for 15 weeks with up to 3, 15-week renewals allowed. You can borrow books from our Leisure Collection for 5 weeks with 1 one-week renewal. See our Circulation page for loan periods for additional types of materials.
Can I have library materials delivered to my office?
- Yes. Books and other circulating resources can be delivered through campus mail to any campus location. To use our Document Delivery service, login to your interlibrary loan account and place a request for Books/Media, etc.
What is interlibrary loan?
- The library's Interlibrary Loan service enables patrons to obtain materials not held by the Van Pelt and Opie Library, including books and other physical materials, as well as electronic copies of journal articles and papers. The library offers two ways to borrow materials: MeLCat (Michigan eLibrary) and our ILL system.
What is the difference between the Interlibrary Loan system and MeLCat?
- Use Interlibrary Loan (ILL) to request PDFs of journal articles, conference papers, and book chapters. Books not available through MeLCat can also be requested. ILL is available for all Michigan Tech faculty, enrolled students, staff, and emeriti. See the Interlibrary Loan library guide for details on the ILL service.
- Use MeLCat (The Michigan eLibrary) to request books and media. MeLCat is recommended for borrowed items due to the shorter delivery time and longer loan periods. Patrons with an active HuskyCard or Courtesy Borrowing Card may use MeLCat. See MelCat Help for details on how to use this service.
How long does it take to receive an article via interlibrary loan?
- Most requests are delivered within 10 hours.
How do I access journals and databases from off-campus?
- Authentication with your username and ISO password is required for accessing library subscriptions from off-campus. Either login first on our authentication page or navigate to journal articles and databases through our Journals or Databases A-Z tabs, located on the main library page. You will be prompted to enter your Michigan Tech username and ISO password.