Skip to main content
It looks like you're using Internet Explorer 11 or older. This website works best with modern browsers such as the latest versions of Chrome, Firefox, Safari, and Edge. If you continue with this browser, you may see unexpected results.
Have a question?
Librarians are available to answer your questions. Click on the Ask Us bubble for FAQs and contact options (chat, email, text, phone).
Frequently Asked Questions
Library Session Materials
Key Resources for UN5390
ACM Digital Library
Platform for searching and discovering ACM publications, including journals, proceedings, magazines, etc. Includes a fifteen year archive of journals and magazines, and a nine year archive of ACM conference proceedings.
Contains scholarly journals on a wide variety of disciplines, with a particular focus on the Social Sciences & Humanities. For UN5390, consider searching here for background and/or historical resources in particular.
ProQuest SciTech Premium Collection
Literature on the natural sciences, engineering, and technology. Includes peer reviewed research and trade publications.
Web of Science
Search a wide range of science, social science, arts, & humanities articles. Particularly useful search tools if you want to explore by author, work, etc.
US Census Bureau
Everything you need to know about the US Census, including a thorough history section under the "About" section.
Quick Refresh on Strategic Search
See the slides (above) for more info and examples!
Key Google (Scholar) Operators
- site:.gov -- finds anything with .gov as part of the site name
- intext:coral -- finds sites with the word coral in the text
- intext:(coral news) -- use ( ) to group words with one command
- "press release" -- " " to group words into exact phrases
- OR -- between synonyms (use parentheses in a combo string!)
- -reef -- use - to exclude a word
- author: -- find author name (works best in scholar)
Key Database Operators
- Use AND and OR to find keywords and synonyms
- Use advanced search to search in just abstracts, titles, authors, etc. and for specific document types
- Use the Database A-Z list to select a topic-specific database
University Resources on Plagiarism