The Research Process
The Research Process -- the road map to success!
- Select and narrow your topic
- Use encyclopedias to learn more about your topic
- Break your topic into concepts and identify keywords for each concept
- Gather evidence from a variety of sources: books, articles, websites, etc.
- Evaluate your sources
- Cite your sources
Select, narrow, and Learn More About Your Topic
Encyclopedias are a good place to start your research, because they help you to:
- Learn about an unfamiliar topic
- Narrow your topic by present specific issues within broader subjct areas
- Indentify keywords descirbing your topic
- Find important names and dates relating to your topic
To find encyclopedias:
- Search the Online Catalog by Subject
- Browse the Reference Collection on the 2nd floor using Library of Congress Classification call numbers as a guide
- Ask a Librarian
Michigan Technological University
1400 Townsend Dr.
Houghton, MI 49931-1295